Talent Management Programme
Creating a coaching leadership style for rapid growth
International restaurant chain Nando’s asked Performance Consultants to design a talent management programme based on a coaching leadership style to improve delegation skills, grow responsibility and increase the proportion of managers promoted from within the Nando’s business.
“Everyone was excited by the [coaching] principle … empowering others to find their own solutions.”
Marcelo Borges, Learning and Development Manager, Nando’s
Nando’s is a leader and trendsetter in the fast-casual dining arena. Since opening their first restaurant in 1987, they have become a global brand with restaurants in 23 countries. They are guided by their values – pride, passion, courage, integrity and family – and are always evolving to keep up with shifts in the global marketplace.
Nando’s wanted to achieve rapid growth without losing its unique company culture. They had big plans for expansion but they did not want to become a large, faceless chain of restaurants.
They were looking to:
- Develop leadership skills to increase performance and maintain the Nando’s values
- Build delegation skills to enable Area Managers to increase the number of restaurants they manage
- Increase the proportion of managers promoted from within the business, to reduce costs and maintain their ‘family’ culture
Nando’s needed a talent management programme that would teach their managers coaching skills and allow them to build a coaching style of management in the organization.
“Nando’s is not just about the chicken. It’s never been just about the chicken. It’s about the people who make the chicken.”
Performance Consultants designed and delivered an in-house coaching talent management programme for all their managers. The Coaching for Performance training programme included the following elements:
- Programme introduction: inspiration from coaching pioneer Sir John Whitmore
- Developing coaching skills: 2-day coaching talent training programme for all managers and Area managers (including the GROW Model, leadership foundations, and concept of the ‘one-minute-manager’)
- Sir John Whitmore’s advanced leadership sessions: 4-day programme for all company Directors and Area Managers
After the 2-day coaching skills training for managers, enthusiasm for coaching was extremely high. The managers went back to their branches ready and committed to implement their new coaching skills right away.
Louise Agran, Marketing Director at Nando’s, attended one of the early courses run by Sir John Whitmore. Louise introduced a coaching style of management to the Marketing Department as soon as she returned. She says “People enjoy their jobs more now… They know what they’re doing and are ultimately more effective.”
After the 4-day advanced leadership workshops, Area Managers successfully learnt to delegate day-to-day management issues. They went from managing 6 restaurants to managing 10.
The planned expansion was a huge success. The new coaching style of leadership strengthened the talent pipeline. Nando’s was named the Best Large Company to work for in the UK, and still holds its family values strongly at its heart.
You can read more about the secret to Nando’s talent management success in the full case study, ‘Nando’s Spices up its Leadership Style’, Personnel Today.
Reflections with Sir John Whitmore