Train the Trainer to Embed a Coaching Culture at IKEA
The Client: As the world’s largest furniture retailer, IKEA is a multinational company developing solutions that influence the lives and future of millions.
The Goal: To drive business performance by expanding the portfolio of management and leadership skills.
The Challenge: To complement the IKEA values and culture which reflect the entrepreneurial spirit of its founder Ingvar Kamprad and are essential to its global success.
IKEA embarked on a journey to harness its unique corporate culture and management style, ultimately to drive its business performance. To do this they wanted to equip their managers with performance management coaching skills to complement the existing management style and expand the portfolio of management and leadership skills.
Needs and Objectives
The client rated the take-up and effectiveness of their in-house management and leadership development trainings as low. The client was seeking to up-skill and establish a solid management and leadership style to improve performance and tackle a number of challenges the business was facing. Performance Consultants was approached to partner with IKEA to attain this through performance management coaching training.
First steps included an interactive foundation seminar to inspire the team and to share the vision of what could be created by adopting a values-based performance management and leadership approach. This really lit the imagination of the top team and created the optimal momentum and placement for the rest of the project. Simultaneously, IKEA’s training to date and HR material were revised and updated.
Performance Management Coaching TTT
With a view to an in-house roll-out to 750 managers in the UK, an accredited train-the-trainer performance management coaching programme was delivered to 80 Managers and Supervisors in the UK.
“Having been involved in many aspects of training within IKEA at all levels over the past 10 years, the coaching programme facilitated by Performance Consultants was miles ahead of any in-house programme relating to coaching that I have been involved with and the business results speak for themselves.”
Phil Rogers, UK Top Talent Development Director, IKEA
Evaluation and Impact on KPIs
All participants passed their assessment (some requiring additional support and training) and became accredited. They are now delivering 2-day Performance Management Coaching courses in branches all over the country and training new in-house trainers.
Together we have:
- Generated extremely high internal motivation and enthusiasm for the coach training among participants and their teams
- Received consistently great feedback praising the approach and coach training delivered
- Collected great stories of how the coach training has impacted the business and reduced costs and improved creativity
- In addition to the above, departments whose managers attended performance management coaching training:
- Saw a 5% KPI increase (4% is considered significant)
- Went from 60% scores in management ability to 90% scores across the board
- One department in particular went from being the 3rd worse performer to the top performer